Our first road trip stop was at the Welland Canal in St. Catherine's. I've never seen a ship lock before and it was incredible! It's so brilliant! We arrived just as the LaFarge ship was coming in so it was perfect timing. The doors shut, the water levels began to rise, then off the ship went! So cool!
We continued on towards our destination. We decided to make a second stop at the Butterfly Conservatory. I've been before (years ago) but it was better than I remembered. We each had a coupon so we saved $4 on the entry fee but parking was $5 so we felt like we broke even. The Butterfly Conservatory is a medium sized green house with thousands of butterflies inside. The colours were amazing and it feels like a magical place. There are plenty of signs that discourage touching the butterflies (though they may touch you!) but there were tons of kids picking up the butterflies and carrying them around. It wouldn't be such a big deal if we didn't see so many butterflies with ripped or damaged wings. I was able to get some great shots and it was nice to escape the light rain we ran into on the way in.
The rain also stopped the nightly tight-rope walker above the main street in Niagara Falls. I really wanted to see him try!
| He's up there! |
After a long day of driving and exploring, we had a nice meal out and then returned to the room (just off the main strip). I wanted to see the light show at the Falls- but again, the rain ruined those plans..so we'll just have to wait until tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment