February is the peak whale watching season off the coast of Maui. The shallow waters make for the perfect breeding grounds for these enormous creatures. Nathan and I woke up at 3:30am in order to board the Pacific Whale Foundation's boat for the sunrise tour. The whales were very active and even the guide couldn't believe all the action we saw. I was amazed I was able to get any photos - the whales come and go so quickly, by the time someone says, "there's one!" it's already gone. Plus, the boat was very bouncy and most of my pictures were blurred (because I was using a telephoto lens).
Whale watching was definitely a highlight of our trip. We arrived back at the dock at 9am and we decided that we would walk to Lahaina (approx 4 miles) to go for lunch. We had dinner reservations at a really popular restaurant, but we decided to change our plans to lunch since we didn't want to have to take an uber back to Lahaini later in the day (approx $40 uber fair and 35 minute drive).
I underestimated how far 4 miles was - especially when walking in sand, walking beside busy traffic (with no sidewalk), through resorts, not in clothes designed for a workout, in rising temperatures as the day wore on.
The mai tai I ordered once we arrived was well deserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment