Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Quilting

In November of last year I decided I wanted to take on a new craft project and I used a website called Volunteer Match to find one. I found a listing for lap quilts needed at a local hospice house. I met with the director, she told me what they were looking for - 3X 5 foot quilts for patients (and that Red, White and Blue/Americana themes were encouraged as many in hospice are veterans.

I decided to make 5 quilts which I thought would take me until the end of the year to make. I thought it would be a good way to revisit quilting and quilt designing. About a week into the project I was asked to help with the costume closet at Whitefield and everything else got pushed. Between Christmas break, snow days, and Hawaii, I didn't get the quilts done until last week.

Today I got to pack them up and deliver them to the house. Although I put a lot of time into making crafts, I love when they leave my house - especially with this project because making 5 quilts was a big undertaking. I calculated that the quilts take between 12-16 hours a piece.
 Planning out the quilts- I draw my design, calculate the block size based on how big I want the finished quilt (accounting for seam allowances), choose colors and find out the best way to cut the fabric to get the most usable fabric out of each piece of fabric.



No comments:

Post a Comment