Nathan still doesn't have his work visa. This means that he will not be able to start work on Monday, and since he only works every other week, he won't have the chance to start (if the visa arrives) until July 25. It's a stressful time because I have plans to travel to Ontario at the end of the month, but I won't be able to leave the country without the visa in place, and Nathan is (possibly) hurting his chances of a fellowship after the return of service because of this late start.
One positive of this late start is that it gives Nathan a chance to study for his American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) exam in mid-August. It's a really important exam and he hasn't had much time to study during his residency so he's going to use this time to get some study time in.
It's hard for me to remember that Nathan's study time is work because I want him to be on holiday and stay home with Allison and I. I want us to go to the pool and explore KC and just relax.
Nathan compromised and gave us the weekend so that he could study through the week. Today we went to the town of Merriam, Kansas. It's only 10 minutes from our house and it's where I had Allison's birthday party (near Ikea).
We started at the Farmer's Market and bought a cantaloupe and sweet corn. I bought some corn from the grocery store a few weeks ago but it wasn't very good. I had high hopes for tonight's corn and it came through. It was delicious and each kernel melted when you bit into it.
After we left the Farmer's Market we went down the street to the Georgetown Pharmacy. I have wanted to visit this place for 2 years and never got around to it! Stepping into this building is like stepping back in time. The pharmacy itself is very dated (but I think that's on purpose) and it's run by a pharmacist who has an interest in malt shops. The owner has been running the pharmacy for over 30 years, and for the last 10 years it's been located in Merriam. The malt shop is at the back of the store and everything is done like it used to be. We had root beer floats and we were able to watch our server pour the syrup and add the water and the "fizz". It was delicious and had an amazing taste that was familiar but more rich and pure than traditional root beer.
Allison loved it and immediately drank half of mine. Our server mentioned that once a month a retirement home will be bused in to sit and enjoy the shakes and malts and listen to the old music that floods the shop. I loved all the stories she told us and I'm already looking forward to coming back.
On our way home we passed a small park and I asked Nathan to pull over. I love finding empty parks that would serve us well for family photos. I couldn't believe our luck when I saw a small waterfall in the park that would be a great backdrop. Allison refused to pose with Nathan for a picture, instead she wanted to play hide and seek in the tall grasses.





















No comments:
Post a Comment