Friday, July 22, 2016

More Change

Nathan starts his new job on Monday so today was our last chance to get a few errands done. After we dropped Allison off at preschool we went to the DMV to renew our licenses. I've mentioned it before on the blog, but in Kansas, they have an automated system that works through an app on your phone. You enter into the queue from your house and it lets you know estimated wait time and your place in line. Then when you show up, the last four digits of your phone number are on a screen in the middle of the room and when it's your turn, your phone number pops up, along with a direction of which window to approach. Its simple and effective.

Nathan was able to renew his license but I had to get a form that has to be sent to a local political representative so that my visa can be reviewed before I can get a license (I've had to do this for 3 out of the last 4 years). It usually takes about 3 weeks to get notice back. Thankfully I have a Canadian license so that I continue driving. Because we are on a 3 year visa, whereas before we were on yearly visas that had to be renewed every year, our new license will be for valid for 3 years and we won't have to go through this process again next year.

This afternoon I went back to the Lumine Salon to get my next haircut. My hair still had 4 layers in it and I really don't like layered hair (especially since the layers were uneven). Also, because I naturally have very dark hair, I felt like I couldn't give my hair a rest when I had to touch up my roots every 4 weeks. So I made a drastic decision. I dyed my hair to match my roots and chopped off all my hair. I think the recent 40 degree days in KC convinced me.

I'm not thrilled with how short it is but I just don't care anymore. Besides, it's fun to try and if I had long hair, I would never try hair this short, so I'm going to try to have fun with it. Allison cried when I came in the house because she didn't like the "black hair" and kept telling me to take it off. I feel a little like a third grader with this cut, which is why when Nathan asked to take a picture of me tonight, I posed like I was in grade school.
Because it's been so hot this week, we've filled up our small pool in the driveway so that Allison can swim at nighttime.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment