Friday, September 6, 2019

Medieval Costumes

I've been working on making costumes for the fourth grade class at Whitefield over the summer. The class holds a Medieval Feast each year and the school likes to have costumes on hand for kids to wear.

The librarian reached out to any parents who could sew and I was the only one to respond.

All the fabric I used was from curtains and table clothes that I found at the thrift shops. I tried to look for costume velvet or brocade at fabric stores, but the cheapest I could make a dress was $15. By shopping the thrift sales, I was able to make each dress for about $4.

I worked out a simple pattern based on the measurements of a couple of current fourth graders that I now and added elastic at the waists to accommodate many sizes.

For the boys, I decided to keep it simple and do a smock/apron style knight costume (as I have no idea the size of a 10 year old boy). I also made capes to go with each.

Each year will have different numbers of girls and boys, but for this year I made sure that each student would have a costume.
 



 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment