Monday, February 12, 2018

Letters

Last week, Nathan and I went to the Kindergarten Round Up (a school preview and meet and greet event) at Whitefield Academy. Allison went to the kindergarten classroom for an assessment to see if she was ready for kindergarten, and Nathan and I heard from members of the staff at Whitefield.

We were each given an outline of what kids should be able to do 5 years old/entering kindergarten and I was surprised by how many things Allison couldn't do! Able to write upper and lower case letters, able to write numbers 1-20. Able to put numbers and letters in order. Know the sounds of all letters. Know the early phonograms (ai, at, an). I didn't even know what a phonogram was until last year! The staff was clear that not every student knows everything on the list, but it was eye opening.

I want to give Allison the best start possible so we've started working on letters at home. This experience has taught me so much. First, Allison has no patience, second, I have no patience, third, I could never be a home school mom. Allison learns better with a group so I know it's a struggle for her. We've been working on one letter a day and while most days are terrible, she is getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment