Friday, October 5, 2018
Fifth Year
I make Allison a picture book each year, I call it her baby book, but she gets a little grumpy when I call her my baby. I use the site, blurb.com for the book because I can print a 350 page, hardcover book for $70.
At the end of the book, I added 5 pages of quotes from Allison, that I collect throughout the year. They are usually funny/mean things she says at the end of a long day. For example:
Me: I get it! I'm a terrible mom!
Allison: You're not a terrible mom, you're just not very good sometimes.
April 7/17
When the book arrived, Nathan and I took a few minutes to look through it and reminisce. Allison was in around us and when we came to the quotes page we were both laughing at all the funny things Allison had said that year.
A few days later, we were at the mall as a family and Allison was being especially sweet and clinging to me. When I would ask her what she was up to, she'd say things like, "I'm just showing you love." or "I just want to be close with you." This was super out of character for Allison, but I told her she was being very sweet and making me feel good.
Then she broke my heart.
She said, "maybe you could put those things in my book for next year."
She thought I thought she didn't love me because of the mean things said (in heated moments). It was definitely a heart-softening moment for me realizing that she hears everything now and that I have to make sure I'm clear when I say things about her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment