Today I went to the J.C. Nichols fountain located in the Plaza. for the "Create Your Own Reality" event. I found a craft group online and they were having a meeting today at the fountain that invited anyone and everyone to just come and create. I brought my crocheting, others had sewing, needle point, coloring, scrapbooking, dance, and drawing (sidewalk chalk was provided). It put me so out of my element but I was so proud of myself for walking into a group where I knew no one and just made friends. I felt awkward pulling out my yarn an dhooks inthe middle of a public place, but there was no judgement and everyone was really nice. They were all super artsy, but not the stuck up university artsy, but just very open and all about creating "free-space" to be whoever you are. I went at 1pm, thinking I would stay for a bit then head home and wait for Nathan to call me to pick him up. But he called at 1:30pm so I picked him up and brought him to the event.





One of Nathan's best qualities is that I can take him anywhere and he fits in. And if it isn't a perfect fit, he doesn't sulk, complain, or tug on my hem to go home, he participates and is relaxed in any setting. Today he even picked up some sidewalk chalk, lost his shoes, and started to draw.
At 3pm, we noticed many people walking toward the fountain with pillows, we were then informed that there was a flash mob pillow fight at 3pm. It was so fun to watch, some people were intense! Luckily no one got hurt - well, a few pillows didn't make it out of the mob, but it looked like alot of fun.
After all the sheningans we walked through the plaza (since we never get an afternoon together to wander and the weather was stellar). We saw a cool drum-line raising money at the intersection right by the fountain, and spent some time checking out the (now-working) fountains, and playing with the animal statues that are set up for Easter!

No comments:
Post a Comment