Today I volunteered at the hospital (still no Nathan sightings). I worked with another volunteer Madeline for an hour in the morning, then I was sent to the Endocrinology unit to do some office work. Gwen, the office staff cordinator had me doing several jobs that I do when I volunteer in my mom's office so I felt really comfortable. It was quiet and relaxed and I know she was happy to have me there. One awkward moment was when we were transporting supplies into the classroom (for diabetes awareness/nutrition classes) and I had stacks of paper cups in my arms. When she reached to take them from me to put them into the cupboard she said, "Look how you're holding those cups, that's a mother's instinct, you must have a baby at home." I just took a quick breathe and told her that no, I didn't. By this point Gwen had already told me that she was a Christian and had mentioned in passing that (because I told her I was new to KC) that if I didn't have a church I should come to hers. Point being, I don't know why I'm attracting these comments. I haven't told anyone at work or church so it's so strange that people are so tuned in. I volunteered until 1pm, then came home to do some housework until Nathan called to have me pick him up.
Tonight we went to Waldo Pizza (Waldo is a subburb of KC) with the pastor of the Wornall Road Church, John Mark Clifton and his wife, Jill. I was really nervous because I've never had one-on-one time with a pastor before, but when we arrived, we saw him waiting for us in a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey - I knew I'd be ok. John has worked in Quebec and Vancouver setting up church plants so they knew quite alot about Canada and didn't have any 'American' questions for us. I really connected with Jill because she knows what it's like to have a husband drag you to different countries for his job, not know anyone, and not be able to work.
We mentioned that we really loved the church and it was a great fit for us and that we were considering membership, well, then it became a (very informal) interview. We talked about why we wanted to be membersand how we each came to Christ. Nathan spoke first and I could feel my cheeks getting hot and my heart beat faster as I knew that I would have to tell them that my biggest catalyst to creating a relationship with God was carrying and losing Michael. It wasn't a conversation I wanted to have in a pizza parlour, but I did think it was important to tell them, and of course, I cried, but they were both so supportive and genuine in their reactions. By the end of our meeting all 4 of us had teared up and I'm sure we confused the other patrons, but we both felt relieved that it we had shared.

No comments:
Post a Comment