Saturday, June 18, 2011

Busy Day

Today we got up early to hit a yardsale. I found it on the KC website that feautres yardsales. The ad stated that it had lots of craft items. I was able to get a few news balls of yarn and some  embroidery thread. There were some amazing deals on some of the stamp items they have. If I was into stamps (ie. card making) it would have been the perfect sale - I'm sure someone scored big that day. I love when yardsales are reasonably priced. It's so confusing when people think their old coffee maker is worth $10. Don't these people know the order or deals?

Garbage, Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Consignment Store, Big Box, Boutique, Antique.

Ok...so that's only my theory but I'm still not paying $3 for a book on a stranger's front yard.



After the yardsale Nathan wanted to head out to Lee's Summit to check out - what else- water. There is a beautiful lake there so we packed a few sandwiches and headed to Longview Lake. It was a beautiful drive and it was the perfect weather to sit in the shade and have a picnic. After circling the lake and marina, we went into the town of Lee's Summit. It's a town of about 70, 000 and it's really clean and quaint on the main street. It's very Main Street USA. We went into a few shops and found an amazing thrift stores (Nathan finally found a set of shoe trees that he's been searching for).




Weird House in Lee's Summit
We arrived back home around 1:30pm, which was just enough time for a quick rest before we headed to the Church to help prepare a meal for Kansas City's Homeless. There is a huge population of homeless here, and is common in many other areas, many homeless don't like to stay in shelters due to violence, assaults, thefts, etc. Many live in parks and other public areas. Our church is part of an organization that assigns each day of cooking to a differenct organization. There were 7 of us there and we made a tuna casserole. We had alot of fun visiting and we were back home by 5pm.

Two of Nathan's Saba classmates have girlfriends in KC this week visiting so tonight a group of us went to the Ernie Biggs Piano Bar. It was a low-key place with a great show. Two musicians played, took requests and entertained the crowd. Pople who have musical talents amaze me. We watched the show for 2 hours before heading home. It was a little loud inside the bar (Nathan says we're getting old) so I wasn't able to talk to the other ladies much (without shouting at them). I don't know if it's a place I would go back to, it seems like it would be the same experience each time you go, but it was a great time and a unique event and I'm glad we were able to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment