Saturday, August 20, 2011

Richard Blackaby

This weekend our Pastor, John Mark, arranged for Richard Blackaby to come and speak to our church. Richard and his father Henry have written many books and travel all over the world speaking and sharing God's gospel. On Friday night Nathan and I were invited along with 6 other church leaders and their wives to have dinner with and then here a short lecture by Richard. He was amazing to hear speak. I'm so glad that we had the time with him, especially since Nathan has to work tomorrow and won't be able to be there for the seminar. John Mark took time to introduce each of the couples present and it was so good to have a reminder of how amazing some of the friends we've been lucky to have here.

After the short talk we had desserts and each had the oppurtunity to speak with Richard. He's a dual citizen who spent his childhood in Alberta and we had a few good "Canada" moments with him.

Saturday was a busy day. After I dropped Nathan off at the hospital I went to the church to help cook the meal that our small group leaders (Ryan and April) cook once a month for the local homeless. We boiled pasta so that after the seminar we could quickly make a casserole and have it delivered by 5pm. The seminar was from 10-3 with an hour and a half of breaks. I thought it would be a long day but it went by quickly. The leaders wives and I helped with setting out the catered lunch and helping serve and then clean up after. The afternoon passed quickly and after the conclusion of the lecture I helped with clean-up and locking up the church. I forgot how much work goes into a church service - I had forgotten our time on Saba when it was so exhausting. It's so relaxing to be able to just show up! I was stumbling through the door at 5:30pm I was so tired. I was ready for a quiet night (since Nathan was on call at the hospital) however, he called at 6pm to ask for a ride since it was a boring night. I wanted to stay in but a few medical friends were heading to a rib joint so he (thankfully) left me at home. It's 7pm and I'm ready for bed....zzzzzzzz


 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment