Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Visiting

FRIDAY
Today we embarked on our travel home to Ontario to see family and renew Nathan's B1 Student Visa (that has to be renewed every 6 months). We decided to park and fly rather than try to hitch a ride. The Kansas City airport is really organized and as soon as we parked the shuttle was there to take us to the terminal! We had no problems getting through customs - although we wanted to raise a stink over the $25 per bag fee- and we had plenty of time to catch our first flight. We had extra time because our first flight was late (and we only had 40 minutes to catch our connecting flight to Toronto). Luckily we were able to run through the terminal and just make it! Thank goodness! Martin and Marlene picked us up in Toronto at 11pm and after a quick visit it was time for bed.

SATURDAY
After a leisurely breakfast, Nathan and I went to Heather's house in Tottenham for a visit. We couldn't believe how much the boys have changed. I really liked taking pictures of Ben, he's a little man now - compared to when we last saw him at just a few days old! I feel drawn to Ben, and not just because he was so quiet while we visited, or that Nathan is enthralled with everything Calvin, but because Ben was born just days before Michael and it makes me really happy to see him grow.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Nathan's Om'Henk and mom came to visit around1pm at Heather's and we were all able to sit outside and enjoy each other's company for a few hours.

Nathan wanted to spend time with his Brampton buddies so I suggested that Marlene, Heather, and I go to the movies to see The Help (I just finished the book and really wanted to see the movie). It was a great night out for the girls and after the movie we sat on the curb where the car was parked and opened the cooler Marlene had packed and had sodas and chatted until the sprinklers came on and we headed home.

SUNDAY
Today we attended Heather and Ian's church. It was great and in many ways similar to our church in Kansas City - minimalistic with a clear message. After church we went to Tottenham for lunch and then hit the road for Brantford. 


We were lucky that our friends Amy and Jay could fit us in. We visited and were treated to BBQ before we had to head out. There's never enough time! Amy and I talk on the phone alot (and she came to visit me a few months back) so it didn't seem that long since we'd last met but it was good to get a few hugs in.

As expected, my dad was waiting in the garage for us when we pulled in the driveway. We were greeted with big hugs starry country skies.

MONDAY

 

 Today was an amazingly lazy day. It's been a hot Ontario summer and today was no exception. We swam, lounged, and baked in the hot sun (funny that we had to go to Canada to get a tan). My mom planned a reception for us tonight from 5-8 and we had so many wonderful family members and friends show up to say hello and catch up. We played bocce ball ( a Stinson tradiiton), pigged out on appetizers, and tried to visit as much as possible. I felt a little guilty after because I felt like I didn't get to give 100% to anyone at the party and I feel like because we're only home for a short time we only talk about what we're doing, when really, our lives are not more exciting than what's happening at home. I just wish I had more time with each person, but it was still a great memory.

 
 
 TUESDAY
After a lazy morning, Nathan, my mom,and I piled into the pickup truck for a few errands. We drove to Sparta to the Steed and Co. Lavender farm. I volunteer with a wonderful woman who loves lavender and she was really interested when I told her about the farm so I thought it would be a nice treat if I brought back a small gift for her. After the farm, we visited Anything Used so that my mom could pick up a candle (they make the BEST candles). Then we headed to the task I was dreading. The eye doctor. As a diabetic, every year I have to have a retinal eye exam - which is covered by OHIP - YEAH CANADA! I don't like eye exams and I really don't like getting sting'y' eye drops that dialate my pupils to the size of dinner plates on sunny days. I tried a new eye doctor - Dr. Pniak in St. Thomas - and she was wonderful and very friendly so it went smoothly and she told me that my eyes are still tip-top so I was really happy for that news.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 After a final dinner with my parents we decided that we would drive to Buffalo to have our passports stamped (in case there was a long line at the airport, or there was any problem). We were able to get the visa for Nathan but were given conflicting information from the border guard (vs. what we were told in February). This is very frustrating because we want to make sure we do everything legally because we don't want any marks on our record. We haven't been able to obtain clear guidelines and "hoping we don't get caught" is not a strategy we empoloy when dealing with customs.  It makes me nervous to make different instructions because I doubt that it's going to pass when I'm being pulled out of line at the airport to explain that "Mark, the man from the Buffalo border crossing said I could go into the US". It just makes travelling that much more stressful.

WEDNESDAY
We didn't get home until after midnight so I was left to sleep in while Nathan woke up to have breakfast with his parents. After packing and grabbing a quick bite to eat, we picked up Marlene from work (she drove us to the airport) and we were on our way back home. We didn't have trouble at the airport customs - however, the customs official that we spoke to this time was AMAZING! She spoke to us clearly and didn't talk down to us. She listened to what we were really asking and gave responses that made me understand the outlines for my stay in the USA.
Our plane ride was uneventful and we were able to quickly get back to our car and be home by 10pm.

Nathan starts his surgery rotation tomorrow so it's off to bed! We had a wonderful trip back to Ontario (is it home or Ontario?) and we were lucky that we were able to see so many family and friends in our short stay.

Trip Highlights:
Spending time with family and friends was great. We also loved spending time outside. Apartment living without a courtyard or balcony can be confining and it was relaxing to sit outside and eat, read, and chat.

Trip Lowdarks:
The growing babies (yes, also a positive) but 6 months ago Scarlett and I napped together, played together, and now she doesn't know who I am and when I try to talk to her she says "No!" and "Stay back!" with her hands extended in front of her. I tried to help Calvin take off his socks (he was having trouble and wanted to go outside to play) and he said,"NOOOO, do it self!" pfft......At least Ben still thinks I'm funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment