Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembrance

Most days when Nathan gets home he asks, "what craft did you do today?" Lately, I've been on a crafting streak! I didn't know where to buy a poppy in KC (I haven't seen one at any of the stores I shop at) and Jill, our pastor's wife said she found poppies but they were white! I've never heard of white poppies but I really wanted one for today so I made one out of yarn. It wasn't perfect (I didn't have a pattern) but I still liked how it turned out, although next time I'd use a lighter-weight yarn.

Today April (and baby Griffin) came to pick Allison and I up for a little outing. We went to Fabric Recycles. It's a thrift store for fabric! Everything has been donated through estates or people who trade their fabric in for store credit. It's a great idea if you were looking for a small piece of something specific. You wouldn't find 5 yards of one piece there but there was a lot to chose from, plus they have notions and thread (much cheaper than at Joann's). I found a piece of fabric that was exactly what I'd been looking for but it was 2 yards- I only needed about 1/4 yard. I asked and the woman said she would cut it for me. I was thrilled and will definitely be back.

After I got home I decided that I needed to find a family doctor here in KC. I am in desperate need of insulin but my endocrinologist can't see me until January 29th! After calling several places I got through to a receptionist (from New Brunswick!) who got me in today to see a doctor. The doctor was very nice but she really didn't know anything about diabetes and was giving me information that I thought was unsafe. I know how to manage my diabetes but if someone was to follow what she said, they could really hurt themselves. I was able to get a prescription and when I went to fill it I found out that even with insurance, it is still double what is costs in Canada (without coverage). At least it's down from X4 what it is without insurance (what I paid last year) but I think I'll just start stocking up each time I go home because I don't think I can afford $150/month for insulin!

No comments:

Post a Comment