Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Calm

I was anxious today because my support group meets tonight. I tried to distract myself with knitting, laundry and errands but it didn’t work. Instead I took a walk down the end of my street to Ward Parkway. There is a small waterway there and places to sit. It was a gorgeous day so I just sat for a bit to try to relax myself. It worked and I started to feel rested. An elderly woman was there feeding the ducks and we chatted briefly. After taking a few pictures and some deep breaths, I headed home to wait for Nathan’s call.

Today was my second meeting with Sam’s Pond (samspond.org) a support group for mothers of deceased children.  I found the group through the March of Dimes office at Saint Luke’s. The woman who runs it, Jenn, lost her son last summer and has been a great friend for me here in KC. Her grief is still very fresh and as painful as it is, it’s comforting when we can share so much. Tonight her husband came and chatted with Nathan and I. It was interesting to have a father talk about the loss, since it is dealt with so differently from the mother. The meetings are held at the local Ronald McDonald house and last for about 2 hours, once a month.  Jenn started the group because there were no other resources in the area. She is a Christian (as is the support worker who also leads the meetings) and throughout the meetings I’m reminded of a passage that was written in several of the cards we received. 

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 3-4



 


 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment