Finally I managed to get to the building. I ran the 50ft to the door and was soaked. As I entered the building I noticed there was no one around. I stood alone for a fewminutes then a door opened and an office worker ushered me into a side room that had no windows and was cramped with about 25 other people. There were 3 rooms filled with people in hysterics. The tornado was touching down a few blocks away and people were going crazy! I guess I don't feel scared because I've never seen first-hand the devestation. I forget that Joplin is only a couple hours away and that many of the people that we know here have relatives/friends in that area. Also, I was on a fast for my blood-work and hadn't eaten in over 13 hours and waiting even another hour seemed cruel. I couldn't focus on the stories flying about of every tornado everyone had ever seen, or the frantic rush of people to get in touch with their loved ones . People were getting really upset that no one's phone's would work - except my $14 Walmart phone! If we were down there any longer I had a feeling people might start trying to bargain for it.
We were kept in the room for about an hour with constant updates from the nurses. The room that we were in was a waiting room for the lab and since we were all sitting there anyway, one woman asked if she could have her bloodwork done since she was already 2 hours behind her appointment time. The nurse, shocked at the question asked, "Do you really want a needle in your arm when the tornado hits?"
Lady, if a tornado sweeps me away or piles me with rubble that is the LAST thing I would be worried about. There were so many funny comments, but again, funny because I wasn't worried. I can understand the fear of those who may have family in affected areas.
Taken by a friend from church
Featured in online news article about today's tornado

Amanda - what a crazy and terrifying experience. I am so thankful you didn't get in a accident on your way to work and the Lord kept you all safe in that room.
ReplyDelete