At first I didn't know why this house was in the Missouri Special Collections at the library, but after some research I deiscovered that the house was designed by Edgar Faris, a prominent KC architect.
Fair, born in Wheeling, West Virginia on November 9, 1882, Faris studied at the Kansas City Art Institute with works dating between 1908-1922. The home, located at 232 West 52nd Street was built in 1921. Although primarily an architect, he moved to Miami in 1926 after gaining a "a national reputation as a landscape and portrait painter." Faris was well known for his style and was "especially adept in the design of Mediterranean-influenced structures," including business buildings, apartments, and residences.
The following buildings were designed by architect Edgar Faris:
- The John Ford Drug Store and later Tapestry Brick building at 2700-2702 Prospect Avenue (1909)
- Twin apartment buiidngs at 901-907 East 39th Street (1909)
- The William H. Collins residence at 232 West 52nd Street (1924)
- The Rose Kallaian and Garabed Yegeshaian store and residence at 4163 Broadway (1923)
- The Alcazar Apartment Hotel at 3609 Baltimore Avenue(1925)
- The Ponce de Leon Apartment Hotel at 4553-4555 Main Street (1925)
The 3 story, 5 baths home on 52nd street stands nearly identical to its original design.
Faris died in Los Angeles on July 5, 1945.

I love reading about your local adventures! I'm going to miss them when you go! When do you go? I absolutely must see you before you take off!!
ReplyDelete