On the way to St. Thomas is a large hill and at the bottom is an open grassland with a stream and plenty of trees. This is also where several bald eagles in the area come to perch. I took a few pictures for the blog last year but they were really far away and it was foggy so I wasn't happy with the pictures. Whenever I drive by that spot I always stop to see if they're around but lately they haven't been. I told my Dad about not seeing them and he mentioned that right next door there are two eagles building a nest.
Eagles typically live near the water (so that part makes sense) but the nest they're building is in our neighbors driveway - really close to the house, and only about 50 feet from his fire pit. It's so strange that that they picked that place. Ray (our neighbor) said that he's already picked up over a half-bed worth or sticks that have fallen from the nest.
My Dad drove me over today and I set up by a tree (to hied myself a bit). The female was crouched low in the nest with the eggs and I could only see her head everyone now and then. The male circled for about 15 minutes and then landed on the edge of the nest and I was able to snap a few pictures. He zeroed in one me pretty quick and after perching for about 30 seconds he left. It was amazing to see an eagle to close, he was beautiful and so big!
Ray has had quite a few visitors out to see the eagles and he and my Dad joked that he should start charging admission - it would be worth it!

No comments:
Post a Comment