Monday, October 21, 2013

My Day

Nathan had today off and I was really excited because Nathan never gets week days off and I had big plans. I was going to leave Allison with Nathan and have a few hours to myself- go for my driving test, get a haircut, go to the fabric store, and just be FREE!

Well, that was a great plan, but Nathan is still sick so I told him that I would go early for my driving test and then come home.

I was really nervous for my driving tests but I had studied the manual and I consider myself a pretty safe driver. I got all my documents ready last night so that I could wake up early and go. Kansas has a really great automated system. You call for a place in line, and they text you your wait time. If you need more time you text back an 'M', if you want to leave the line, text 'L'. They keep texting you with updates and you respond if you need more time. It's brilliant. I knew I wanted to get it over with so I called from the car and when I arrived (with a 10 minute wait predicted) at 7:05am I was only one of 10 people there. I was quickly called up and after giving the clerk all my information, having my photo taken, utterly failing the vision test (but I had my glasses with me), I paid my $29 for the written test, driving test, and a 6 year license. I was SHOCKED when the clerk told me how much it would cost. In Ontario, this is what you can expect to pay:

G1 (written test) and G2(driving test): $145
Road Safety Course (allows you to take your driving test 4 months early): $250
G (you must take this within 5 years of obtaining your G2): $85
5 Year License Renewal: $80

Plus, the stress of the Ontario system is insane, it's automated but I remember waiting weeks or months to get a spot in line, it was so perfect to be able to do it the day of.


The written test was harder than I thought it would be, but mainly because I would over-think the questions. An you didn't want to get a question wrong because you were at a computer station that faced everyone waiting in line and your screen flashed RED when you get it wrong so everyone knows how you're doing.

My RED questions:

1. Which of the following will NOT result in a suspended license
a) consuming alcohol at a level above .08
b) failing to appear on traffic violations in Kansas or another state
c)guilty of 3 moving violations in 2 years.

I had guessed wrong between b and c.

2. What is the purpose of this sign?
a)regulatory
b)guide
c)warning

To me I guessed guide because that made sense, but it was warning. To me, those words mean the same thing but I was wrong. In the manual it says "Dangerous or Unusual Conditions Ahead" as the label for these diamond yellow signs.

3. At what distance of viewing difficulty would you turn your headlights on at?
a) 500 ft
b)300ft
c)1000 ft.

I guessed 500 but it was 1000.

I passed the test with 22/25 (you can get up to 5 wrong) and then it was time to drive. When the instructor and I went out to my car it was still dark out! It was a really easy drive, just around some neighborhoods with different speed zones. The man was really nice and we had a nice chat while we drove around for about 10 minutes. I was so happy when he told me I passed! I got a temporary license until my real one comes in the mail in a few weeks!
After I got home Nathan and I decided it was a good time to run some errands and get some groceries. We were back home by 1pm because Nathan had some work he needed to catch up on so I decided to try to get Allison to sleep with some afternoon snuggles. She managed to sleep for 30 minutes before she woke up screaming.

It's been a really long day and I'm looking forward to falling into bed as soon as I finish this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment