Saturday, June 21, 2014

Wheatley

Today I met up with my friend Becky and we headed into Port Stanley for a visit. We were both kid free (thanks Mom!) and we spent a couple of hours walking through stores, sampling local baked goods, and then settling in for an orangeade, cheeseburger, and fries (with the secret sauce) at Mackie's.

Mackie's is a beach front restaurant on Lake Erie and it's very popular with the beach crowd. It was really busy today and it's common to be standing in the snaking line with people in only their bathing suits.

I pigged out on fries (I decided to not restrict my calorie diet while I was home and I've been having the best time) and we caught up on the going-ons of our daily lives. Becky is an elementary school teacher and when she talks about her job I can't help but think of my elementary school teachers and how couldn't imagine them sitting around with their friends - I thought they were property of the school and lived in the basement or something.
 My parents asked if I wanted to head to Wheatley. Wheatley is the fresh water fish capital of the world and boasts a population of 2300. Fraser and Shelley have been camping there for the last few days and invited us to make the hour and a half drive to meet them for dinner. It seemed like a simple plan but Allison has been a wild card lately. She hates her car seat and fought so hard against it and cried so hard that she threw up. It was pretty dramatic.

We arrived at 4:00pm and used the time before dinner to walk along the beach (and see Point Pelee, Canada's most southern point), have a glass of wine, and let Allison put her feet in the lake for the first time.

 
 
 
 
 

I don't know how Shelley made us a dinner of spaghetti, salad, bread without a kitchen but I applaud her. There is no way I could taken Allison camping- never mind 3 kids under 4, without a kitchen or bathroom.

We left once Allison started to get tired and we had a peaceful ride home with Allison fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment