Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wild Wednesday

I had a morning of errands planned for Allison and I today. Since Allison has been getting up by 6:30am, it's easy to be out the door for when things open at 9am. She had been resisting putting on a diaper (or clothes) lately so each time I change her, we go through the routine where she has to sit in her timeout chair until she's ready to be changed. This can often go on for 15-30 minutes.

Our first stop was the library. The kid section is in the basement and there are toys, magnets, crafts, crayons, puzzles, and lots of things for kids to do, but Allison wants to go through the librarians desk, pull keyboards off the computer tables, and knock books off shelves. I don't get to look through the books we choose, I just grab a big stack and then review them when we get home.

While I was checking out the books (because for some reason scanning books is now beneath the librarians) I was making sure Allison stayed in the small gallery room to my left. I was blocking the doorway so she couldn't run away. The gallery room has posters for "books of the month" and "how to teach your kid to read". There was a lineup behind me (to check-out) so I was going as fast as I could. After I was finished, I walked the four steps into the room...and she was gone.

I've been through this many times with Alli but I still panic every time. I informed the librarian as I began to sweep the aisles. But no Allison.

Less than 2 minutes passed when another librarian came down the stairs - carrying Allison. I didn't notice the elevator in the corner of the gallery room. Allison had got on, pushed the button to go up, and was roaming the adult section of the library when a patron pointed her out to a librarian.

I was in tears as I put her in the car and drove straight home without groceries, or my prescription, or any of my other errands.

I had a lunch date with our pastor's wife and I was probably in no state for a casual get-together since I was so wound up/angry but she did a good job of listening to me and calming me down.

I can deal with the tantrums, the baths in a tiny bucket, the wild hair and clothes choices, but running away from me is awful. The thought of losing Allison sickens me and we're starting to work on keeping her near me.


1 comment: