Thursday, June 11, 2015

Wooden Toys

Last week, my friend April and I went for a walk and we passed by a garage sale. We decided to check it out. The owner of the home had gorgeous gardens and some really interesting things but she had priced them like she was running a store, even though she insisted she "just wanted everything to go." I found a box of handmade wooden toys and knew I wanted them. She told me that a friend of hers made them and she always had plans to paint them with her grand kids but never did. Allison has been interested in her wooden train set lately and I knew she'd love these too. I only had $2 in my bag so I picked these 2 pieces.
When I was a kid, one of my favorite crafting techniques was acrylic painting. I loved it. My mom and I would paint pumpkins (rather than carve them) and I always loved making ornaments and personalizing things. I don't paint anymore but I thought this might be a fun way to try it out again.

When I saw the one truck , all I could think was, "this looks just like the Shatto Milk Truck!". I decided that it would be my inspiration. For the pick-up truck, I just picked colors I liked that were available at the Dollar Store.

Here is the actual Shatto Milk Truck.
 
Here is my mini-version.
 Allison was really interested in the trucks, and chipped and scuffed the paint within 5 minutes- but I think it adds character to the toys.



No comments:

Post a Comment