It's been 3 years since we visited the Omaha Zoo and this year we had an incentive. Having a KC Zoo pass gets us 50% off at many zoos in North America, including the Omaha Zoo.
We drove to Omaha yesterday afternoon and stayed in the same hotel we stayed in 3 years ago. Allison even helped me recreate the photo I took of her on our last trip.There was a pool at the hotel and Nathan offered to take Allison so I could have a few minutes to myself (after spending 3 hours in a car with Allison, I needed some quiet time).
We got up early the next morning and hit the Henry Doorly Zoo. The forecast had changed (overnight) from sunny and 37 degrees to 32 degrees with thunderstorms. The threat of storms seemed to keep many people away so the zoo wasn't overly crowded. Plus, the short rain bursts gave us breaks from the heat and let Allison recharge.
The Omaha Zoo has more animals than the KC Zoo, and while the the KC Zoo has a few exhibits that are much better than the Omaha Zoo, several of the Omaha Zoo's exhibits are standouts. The standouts are the dessert dome, the Lied Jungle (the best exhibit I've ever seen), and the fact that nearly all the enclosures are 360 degrees. If you can't see the tigers or gorillas from view 1, there are 6 other views to try. The KC view has so many places for animals to hide that often you can go and miss seeing dozens of animals because they are under the water or over a hill or in a tree.
I really enjoy the gorilla exhibit but this visit was extra special because there was a baby gorilla in the enclosure (with two females and one large male). A fellow photog was beside me taking several shots of the baby and he was using his flash. I liken this to allowing children to yell at the animals or bang on the glass - NOT COOL.
He wasn't paying attention and suddenly the male ran and lunged at him through the glass. It was a huge thud and scared both of us, but the photog got the message and moved on.
Allison did well at the zoo (we brought the stroller) but she still isn't too interested in observing the animals. We stayed at the zoo for 6 hours and then made the long trip home.
Here is another flashback photo of Nathan and Allison watching Nathan's favorite animals, the sea lions.
Flashback #3
Flashback #4
I remembered this place as soon as I saw it. Allison has always had a love of water and I remember Nathan stopping to bed down and let her splash in the pond, so I asked him to recreate it. I didn't realize it until I was going through the old photos that she is wearing such similar outfits in each photo (pink and white stripes).





















































No comments:
Post a Comment