I’ve spent the last 3 days volunteering at the Outdoor Farm Show in Woodstock, selling tickets for an antique tractor that’s been restored and donated to the hospital for a draw to raise money for new IV pumps. I worked with 2 women, Mary, who works with my mom, and Liz, the daughter of my mom’s co-worker Joanne. We were lucky that we were working in the John Deere section because we were inside a barn selling out tickets. We were there from 9-5 every day and they were some lloooonnnnggg days. I was happy that I had Mary and Liz, we’d never met before but we sure did get to know each other over those 3 days, plus the 3 hours in the car each day. I am glad that my dad’s a farmer and that I spent the last weekend at Ben’s farm because I fit right in with the farmers. It was a really busy show and I had a lot of conversations with farmers. They all wanted to tell me about what kind of tractors they have, how many they have, what kind of farmers they are, where they live, etc. I met some amazing men who told me all about their farms, their upbringing, and their wives and children. I have such a soft spot for farmers, probably because of how much I love my dad and I know how hard he works. Today was our last day at the show and Mary drove us in her car. It rained ALL day so it was a slow ticket-selling day. When we tried to leave, we saw that the parking lot/field was a big mud pit. Luckily, I had my rubber boots on, unluckily, everyone’s car was stuck. Good thing we were at the farm show because there were plenty of tractors to pull people out. We managed to be one of the early group of cars who were towed, but there were several hundred cars in each of the 3 parking lots and people were going to be there all night waiting for their turns.


No comments:
Post a Comment