Why does every little holiday get a HUGE sale here? The Veteran's Day sales here were bigger than Canadian Boxing Day. And people are already talking about Black Friday, never mind Christmas!
This week I was talking to a few church women and we were comparing the Canadian holidays to American and I said we had Remembrance Day and they said that it sounded so "sad and somber." I thought back to how angry I was at the kids playing tag in the war museum, I think we just treat the holiday differently. That being said, living in America and experiencing a September 11th anniversary - the somber feeling is definitely present and I felt it was something I could respect but it didn't affect me in the way it does Americans.
It felt strange not to have a poppy to wear or sing the national anthem today. Sometimes things seem so similar to the way they are back home, and other days it's really clear that there is a strong identity tied up in country.