Friday, November 18, 2011

Ice Skating

Nathan finished work early today (3:30pm) and we decided to head to Leawood to see a jean store he wanted to check out. It's called Baldwin Jeans and they're a "high end" jean company and the jeans there start at $232. I was speaking to one of the workers and he was showing me the worn-out wall (a wall of worn out jeans that people donate back to the store). He told me that a specific pair lasted for 4 years before they gave out. I wanted to tell him that the jeans I was wearing have lasted me since 2003 and they cost me $35. But whatever floats your overpriced boat.

Then we stopped in the at the Fashionista Exchange. It's a really cute consignment store (also in Leawood). They had some good items and some of the prices were reasonable especially for the nicer things but with the amazing sales coming up, buying a used shirt for $20 seems ridiculous. I really liked their shoe and boot selection and the store was organized well and very trendy.
Nathan thought we needed to celebrate my 5.6 A1C score so we went to Winstead's (the hamburger diner we went to for his birthday). We each had a burger and fries and he had a delicious milkshake. The prices are really cheap and the food is great so it was within our celebration budget.

We arrived home at 6pm and decided that we needed a nap since ice skating didn't start until 10:30pm. I'm usually in bed by 9:30pm. I knew the nap would mess up our sleep but there's no way I could stay up that late without sleep. 

The Southern Baptist Group donated the ice time for Wornall and the kids of Southwest High (they take an active role in connecting with youth).We drove but all the high school kids rode on a school bus to the Independence Events Center. Ice skates were provided for free as well. It was a great treat.

We arrived a few minutes before the bus so I was able to get a few laps in before anyone could see me stumble. I didn't fall but I haven't skated in years and I was a little scared. But after a short while I really started to enjoy myself. 


Nathan kept himself busy helping the young girls to skate (I'm teasing, although that is what he was doing). Teaching is passion of Nathan's and you can see the joy he gets out of helping others, he was all smiles. Many of the teens had never been on skates before but they picked up skating really quickly. 

There were no accidents (I thought for sure there would be some broken bones) but there was one close call. One of Wornall's guys fell and his buddy skated by him so close that he shaved off some of his hair! 
At the end of the night we drove 3 teenagers to their homes and then dragged ourselves into bed at 1:30am.






No comments:

Post a Comment