Today I celebrated my 29th birthday and Allison celebrated being 35 weeks! (5 weeks old).
My parents met Nathan and I at Cora's, a delicious breakfast restaurant, to get an early start on the celebration. I had a huge crepe filled with fruit and custard and (after Nathan told our server it was my birthday) a carved apple served in custard with a sparkler in it. Thankfully, the restaurant was to busy to have the servers come over and sing to me!
This was my first birthday that I truly didn't mind having a quiet day. I always think, well, birthdays don't really matter when you get older, but I secretly want something special (don't we all?). But today, it didn't really feel like my birthday. It's probably because I'm so consumed with Allison, and I'm happy with that. Could this be a mark of being a mom? I was more excited for Allison being 5 weeks, than me being 29?
After my parents treated us to breakfast the took me to feed my addiction- nail polish! I also got a nail stamp kit. I haven't been able to paint my nails (not allowed in the NICU) and I miss that outlet of creativity so it's one more thing to look forward to once Allison comes home.
The rest of the day was routine. I was able to hold Allison for a few hours in the afternoon, and tonight we gave her a bath. After her bath we dressed her in an outfit we received from Mark and Tia Lane. Mark and Nathan went to medical school together and it was so thoughtful of them to think of us. We're dressing Allison as often as we can because soon she will have outgrown her preemie outfits!


No comments:
Post a Comment