Then I looked at the projected temperature for Halloween. 27 degrees, or 80 degrees for my American friends! I put off thinking about the heat until Friday afternoon. Friday was hot at 25 degrees, so I knew the coming (hotter) days that involved Allison and I going to "Boo at the Zoo", an annual trick or treat day at the KC Zoo, I knew I had to come up with a new costume. So, in record time, I made this "before" snow white costume for me in just over an hour, and I added to the skirt, bodice, and bow, with a quick trip to the thrift store (50% off day) and picked up the shoes and shirt (I added the peter pan collar). The only thing I didn't like was how much bigger the bulky skirt made me look, but it wasn't a big deal.
I was lucky that I had the scrap fabric (which was why I chose Snow White for our costumes in the first place). The yellow on the skirt is a little too light, but it was the biggest scrap piece I had. I made the skirt, top (with high collar and cape), and headband with bow. I also made a bucket for me to carry. It was the perfect accessory (made out of cardboard and felt) because it went with the costume, and I could make it the perfect size so I could carry my camera, zoo pass, cash, and a sippy cup for Allison.
I wondered if anyone would get who I was, but being with Allison helped, and quite a few little girls came up to me and asked if I was Snow White.
We ran into a few friends from church, including the Greisbach clan. Allison loves their kids so we walked together for nearly an hour while the kids goofed around. Allison was very sad when it was time for her friends to leave.
Boo at the Zoo had about twenty stops for kids to get candies, masks, books, magnets, cups, spider rings, etc. and we got to all the spots early. If you have a zoo pass, you could attend the event an hour before the zoo opened. We arrived at 8:30am and it was already packed with people. Once the zoo opened for the public it started to get overwhelming, but since we had already got our treats, we rode the carousel and the train, and just wandered around until lunch time.


















No comments:
Post a Comment