Monday, October 31, 2016

The Faerie Queen

This morning started off very cool and I had high hopes that Allison would be able to wear the costume that I made for her months ago.

I even got her to try it on for a few minutes before school.

As I sit here writing this blog, the sun is shining and the temperature is quickly climbing and I know that she would melt in her royal garb. So she can wear another costume from her dress up closet, but I'm so happy that I got some pictures of her in this costume.

The costume is in six pieces - the hoop skirt, the gold apron, the bodice/collar/red overskirt, the red velvet shirt, the ruff, and the wig. It looks complicated, but for the most part is was straight seams and gathering fabric. I used plastic canvas to make the collar stand up, and rubber plumbers tubing in varying "ring" sizes sewn into the fabric to make the hoop skirt under the dress. I crocheted the wig and it took longer to make that loopy pattern as it did to sew the entire rest of the costume. It took four hours to sew the dress parts and six hours to crochet the hat.

The ruff was much easier than I thought it would be. There are so many great tutorials online.

I love making these extra special costumes for Allison because I feel like it matches her unique personality.
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: