Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Last Zoo Day of 2016

 Today was my last zoo day of 2016. The weather is supposed to turn very cold and snowy mid-week, and next week I travel to Canada for the rest of the year, so I wanted to take advantage of this free time. I was so busy last week with my friend coming to town, and then I was in the church childcare yesterday so I haven't had a moment to just slow down in about a week. I'm someone who needs a lot of time and space to make decisions, think things through and digest things. I can do it quickly, but it takes a lot out of me, and then I need a rebound time. So after a week of making plans, going here and there, and then having awkward social time (Nathan's work party), I needed a rebound. I decided to go to the zoo, put on my headphones and walk the loop of Africa and Austrailia. Most of the animals weren't out because it needs to be at least 40 degrees for most animals to be out. The cats were out, but that was about it. There were only 8 visitors at the zoo today so I didn't see many people in the two hours I spent walking around.

I've loved having a zoo pass this year (it continues on til March 1st) and I'm looking forward to new adventures (and photo taking opportunities) in the new year.
 The cheetah was making loops around his enclosure today. I love when he's moving because I can watch his muscles and just imagine how fast he'd be on an open track. He gave me some nice head-on shots because I was the only person around and his eyes were set on me.
 These birds fought the entire time I was watching them. They didn't seem to be fighting over food or a mate, but they kept going after each other, even after one would back off.

 
One trick I've learned from the zoo is that if you want to get the attention of the animals, you have to engage them or enrage them. If I want the tigers to get worked up, I start following their pace around the cage. At first it doesn't bother them, but after a few moments they get really mad. Also, you can find out the feedings times and then show up an half hour before with food. I had fruit just before feeding time at the Tropics house, and the monkey sat beside me in awe. A way to engage is to dress like the zoo keepers. If I wear light pants, dark boots, and a navy coat, the animals will usually approach where I'm standing, thinking that I'm going to feed them.
  The orangutans were inside today because of the cold temperature and this female was sitting at the glass. I was sitting in front of her and was copying her motions, ending with my hand against hers (with glass in between). She then puckered her lips and kissed the glass at my face.




No comments:

Post a Comment