I've been wanting to take a country drive for a few weeks now. The leaves are changing and I had a few ideas for pictures. Today we made plans with Kelly and Steve to drive out to the Shatto Milk Farm which I was excited about even though I didn't have my camera. I was really disappointed because the drive was beautiful.
We drove down dirt roads with cornfields on both sides until we reached the farm. I love family farms/businesses and I've heard great things about this dairy farm. It was funny because on our drive there we didn't see another car for miles at a time, but when we got there, there were about 100 other people! We were able to tour the barms, see the calves, and MILK A COW! I've always wanted to try it and we were all successful! Then we all got to have are thumbs "milked" by the mechanical milker. We were so city, but we had a really fun time.
At the end of the tour, the owners treated us all to samples of all their milk, all of which are award winning. We tried banana, orange, strawberry, chocolate, and rootbeer. You wouldn't think some of them are very good but they were all heavenly. And they have cheese and ice cream--it was all so tasty. All the milk is sold in glass bottles (all from Canada!) and is $ a gallon (plus a $2 glass deposit). I haven't been drinking milk lately as it's all sugar, but this milk is a treat...and as far as treats go, it's low sugar. I can't wait to buy the strawberry next!
Tonight before bed we each had a small glass of milk at the kitchen table. It was a great way to end an adventuresome day.



No comments:
Post a Comment