Thursday, October 6, 2011

SOS Reunion

Today I took a drive out to Overland Park, KS. Becky Brunson, a former SOSer just moved in! Overland Park is a really nice, clean area and it's only about 20 minutes from our apartment. Becky has 3 kids under 4 so I knew it was easier for me to go to her house. I was really looking forward to catching up with Becky because she has such a calming influence. She is the woman on Saba who really opened my eyes to wanting to have children. She is such an amazing mother and that hasn't changed.
It was so strange to see her off Saba! But Kansas City is a popular site for the Saba medical students so I'm sure there will be more to pass through here. After a few minutes it didn't seem like we'd been apart for over a year. We caught up on what has happened to us both in the last 13 months, stressed together over debt, understood each other over the rantings of everyday life with a med student husband, and assured each other that everything will work out in the end and that we both have so many blessings. We walked to the park by her house and watched the kids play then sat in her backyard and chatted. While we were chatting we heard a BOOM, followed by police cars and fire trucks flying through her subdivision. We decided to "rubber neck" as Becky called it and took the kids over to see the emergency vehicles. A neighbor had run into his house with his car. No one was hurt but it was a strange sight.

Becky and I love to bond over our love of thrift stores, garages sales, and deals in general. She told me about a place called 1/.2 of 1/2 that is about 5 minutes from her house. I decided to stop in after our visit. It's a warehouse style store and you really have to dig but there were some amazing deals. I didn't buy anything but I've never been to a store that only sells items that have been returned to other stores. Most of the clothes still have their original tags (including some really nice BCBG dresses) and they're really cheap with the deals changing every week. I was a little confused at first by the price system but eventually I understood that every tag has a letter which corresponds to a price on the master price list. For example, "N" items are $2.99, "P" items are $4.99. It was a cool store.

No comments:

Post a Comment