One of the greatest lessons I've learned from the loss of my children is that it's best to say something, anything, rather than say nothing. There isn't a right thing to say and often you will say the wrong thing but showing that you're aware and thinking of the person outweighs any offense or uncomfortable feelings.
This morning, my mom woke me up with some very sad news. Last night, a dear family friend, died in a car accident. I grew up with Kyle and his siblings. Our parents were best friends and I was just at his Dad's house two days ago. They are a very kind-hearted family and the loss of their son was very hard for me to see. We went to their house to give support and love. It was so strange to hug my parent's friends and connect with them on the loss of children.
This afternoon we set out to make dinner for the family. It was so odd that only one week earlier, our friends were doing this for us and here we are doing the same for another family. It will be difficult for me to go back to the funeral home we used for the boys (I'm not trying to make this about me) but I know that these moments are what create and deepen relationships. I feel so strongly for these friends and it made me truly realize that whether 20 days or 25 years, it's never enough time to love your family.
i can't imagine how hard this must be for you, but I admire your strength and love for this family.
ReplyDeleteThankful you are able to love and support them even after your loss.
ReplyDelete