I brought my Vanishing Villages of Elgin book to my friend Ashley's tonight. I wanted to show her the section about the area she lives in- Rodney, formerly known as Churchville because the main intersection held three churches and one tavern. The settlers of Churchville were Schneckenburgers, the surname of her boyfriend! As she was making dinner I was reading to her about the settlement of the area, creating the local church and cemetery (which I blogged about last year). As I was reading about the tavern/hotel used by travelers I looked at the picture at the top of the page.
"Wait a minute," I said, "is this your house?!?"
Ashley came over and sure enough, the house we were sitting in is the former hotel! We were so shocked! After talking to Ben, he told us about a marking in the basement.It's 1922 date is much later than the original construction of house which began in 1872 when Joseph Schneckenburger built a boarding house near the local sawmill for mill employees. By 1874, the structure had become a tavern and was a stagecoach stop along the line from Iona to Duart in Kent County. Now the structure hosts glee nights every Tuesday!
Amanda, you probably didn't see my comment down on the last post about sweet little JR so I'm going to copy it here:
ReplyDelete"It has obviously been way too long since I've checked up on you through your blog and I'm so sorry for that. You sweet, amazing woman!! Your courage and the strength you find through God are inspiring. I wish I knew why hard things happen to amazing people. You and Nathan are wonderful. The grace with which you conduct yourselves shines through your blog. Michael and JR are lucky to have you as parents. We also believe that you will see them again. We love you guys and wish you happiness! If you're ever back in KC, please let me know."
Love you lots, girl! Thanks for being an inspiring woman.
THATS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCrazy crazy but so cool! :)
ReplyDelete