Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pod A

Today I went into Alli's room and there was a woman in my chair holding a baby! I had a very confused moment until I realized it wasn't my baby(they all look the same).

I found John's primary nurse at the nurse's station and she told me that Alli had been moved to Pod A earlier that morning. I have mixed feelings about being moved- of course I'm happy that's she's in an area that boasts the most stable babies but I feel guilty about leaving Alli's past roommates behind. When baby John was in the NICU he had 5 roommates that either went to Pod A or went home. 

My conflicted feelings continued tonight when I went to 'Parent Hour' in the NICU hosted by a support worker. There were 4 moms and 1 couple and we all had our babies between 26-42 weeks. It's a group meeting that's held every three weeks to address any. NICU concerns.  I enjoyed talking to the other parents, but it was hard because things are going so well this year but many of the issues they talked about brought me back to last year. I felt scattered in my conversation because people don't know my background, they just know what I'm currently dealing with. As I talked, even I couldn't tell if I was hopeful or pessimistic. Either way it was good to chat and I'm sure we all felt frazzled. 


I went back with Nathan when he arrived home after spending the day in Tottenham with his family celebrating Calvin's 4th birthday. Alli's primary nurse followed her to Pod A (continuity of care) and I asked her if she could help me make footprints with a dye package my friend Becky gave to me. We did it and it was hilarious, I don't think I've laughed like that in a long time. After a few smudge-y ones we got one perfect print and that's all I wanted! Alli wasn't impressed but it will be a great way to remember how tiny she was- especially since at her weigh in tonight she was up to four pounds, five ounces!

Sidenote: Today is my 2 year Type 1 Diabetes Anniversary! I would like to share this day with my heroes, Banting and Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment