While my parents were visiting, my mom asked for me to sew a Little Mermaid dress-up outfit for her to take back for Scarlett. I think the LM is making a comeback because I'm been seeing it everywhere lately. We headed to Joann's and we picked out a few fabrics that I've never worked with before. Working with knit, plus sequins, plus felt, PLUS elastic was a little tough - oh wait, did I mention the ruffles? But it turned out really cute (the fabrics were really wide so I made two - one for Scar and another for a friend). Shelley sent me a few pictures of Scarlett wearing the outfit and she looked like she was having a great time - which always makes the work that goes into these little projects worth it.
I don't know if it was my comfort level with new materials shining through but last week Nathan asked if I wanted to go to Joann's. I was shocked- Nathan hates the fabric store. Every time we go he follows me around and tells me the same story about his mom dragging him to FabricLand when he was a kid and how it was torture.
The reason he was so interested is he had a project in mind. A new pair of scrubs! I've always said that I'm not interested in sewing clothes- for me or anyone else, but Nathan convinced me to give it a shot. A high quality pair of scrubs costs around $90 and Nathan really wanted a thick fabric and a custom design (he wanted a longer top so he could tuck it in - NO DRAFTS!)
I took my time trying to figure out a pattern- it seems really easy but the $25 I spent of the fabric intimidated me and I had just enough to complete the project. I worked on them while Allison napped and over the course of 3 days I finished the set. I think they look good but I'm going to run them through the wash a few times to loosen them up. Nathan seems to like them too :)


No comments:
Post a Comment