Nathan is finishing up with second year of residency here in KC and we are beginning to look toward the future. Nathan has decided that after his third year of residency he would like to do a Pulmonology/ Critical Care fellowship.
This is another 3 years! Ideally, we would like to stay in KC since we've made our home here, but Nathan would have to apply this summer, go on interviews, and then (hopefully) get a spot at the end of the year for July 2016.
It is a long road and more school means putting Nathan's full earning potential on the shelf for another 3 years but Nathan has already come so far, that we both feel like he should just keep going especially since we have all we need.
Nathan loves his work and commits himself fully. Two weeks ago Nathan was awarded the Resident of the Year for Saint Luke's Hospital. He was nominated by the nursing staff in the ICU and was selected from among all residents in all specialties. It was really nice and I could tell he felt shy about telling me about it. I was so proud of him. I know how much Nathan appreciates all the support staff at the hospital and that they noticed his desire to work as a team means a lot to him.
Sometimes I feel like Nathan has a life that I know nothing about. He writes papers, has presentations and projects and I hear about them after the fact.
Last night he was talking about a poster presentation he had to do today and I drew a complete blank. Turns out he's been working since October on a Quality Improvement Project to increase the completion rate of medication discussions with patients. Today he presented at the School of Medicine for faculty and researchers. His study uncovered a fault in the electronic medical record (where the patient information is kept) that the hospital is now working on fixing.
One of the requirements for residency competition is involvement in a formal research project. Since he was the lead author on this study, it satisfies the requirement and he's happy to have that done so that he can begin studying for his next set of board exams.

Fantastic job Nathan on both the project and the award! I totally know how you feel about them having another life. I always feel so absorbed in the kids I forget he does more then just go in, see some patients and come home. :) Glad you two are doing so well. Good luck on the next chapter!
ReplyDelete