Monday, May 18, 2015

Tantrum

Allison had her two year checkup when we got back to KC and while her doctor was impressed at how well she's doing, he was not impressed with her behavior. I told him I didn't know how to work with her and he told me that it was "time to start disciplining her." I don't know why I didn't think about punishing her when she whines. I would ask, then tell, her to stop, but I never thought about punishment.

Then he told me to just ignore her when she's yelling/ being crazy. He did it while we were in the office and (eventually) she just found something else to do.

I've been working on giving her time-outs every time she whines and she is getting better, but now she is finding new ways to test me.

Today, I was weeding the garden in the front yard. She was getting too close to the yard so I told her to back and when she kept inching forward, I pulled her back. SHE.LOST. HER. MIND. She screamed, cried, kicked, took off all her clothes (diaper included) while she rolled in the grass crying like a maniac. I sat on the porch and watched the scene. A motorist and a cyclist actually stopped to see if everything was ok.

She didn't tire herself out and once she started throwing up, I knew it had gone too far. I brought her in the house, put new clothes on her and let her finish crying inside the house. I put a blanket over her to muffle the sounds - and eventually she passed out of the hardwood floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment