Sunday, February 28, 2016

Neil Sedaka

I've been very lucky the last few years to have won some amazing prizes through local contests. I've won tickets to movies, plays, sporting events, and concerts, gift certificates and a kid's party.  I haven't signed up for anything lately because winning can bring on a major stress - where to find care for Allison. I have wonderful friends who often offer to babysit but they have kids too and keeping Allison out and awake after her bedtime is not pleasant for anyone.

A few weeks ago I saw a contest for tickets to a Neil Sedaka concert. Neil is a singer/songwriter from a few decades back and has songs like, "Oh, Carol", "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen", "Calendar Girl" and "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" (just to name a few) in his collection.  I love old music so I put my name in the hat.

I got a call a week later that I had won! I was given the ticket office to arrange the details. When I called the Rose Brooks Center, I was told that I didn't just win a concert, I won two seats at their annual $300 a plate fundraiser which included cocktails, dinner, and concert. I was surprised by such a big win, especially after I googled past events and that is was being held downtown at the Sheraton Hotel. I was also nervous when the woman I spoke with told me in was a "cocktail formal" event.

My first stress was relieved when our neighbor, Charlene, came back from her Miami pediatric rotation and offered to watch Allison. My second (the dress) was a little harder. I have nice things but they are very simple and not "gala-wear." I looked in a few stores but everything was either for a 20 year old or a 40 year old and I got frustrated pretty fast, especially because I didn't want to pay a lot for the dress. On Saturday morning I went to Burlington Coat Factory (similar to Winners or Marshall's) and they had several good options. Trying dresses on with Allison at my feet was stressful but I felt some of my dress stress fade when I went to the dressing room with 6 options.

I picked a simple dark red dress that went to the floor (I didn't have to buy shoes or nylons!) and it was only $29!

Nathan got off a 30 hour shift on Sunday afternoon so he was very tired, but was a good sport about taking me on our date - I even wore the earrings I wore on our wedding day (I haven't been anywhere to wear them since then). We were on our way to the event before I realized we didn't take any pictures so I snapped this one the car.

The event was very well done. We sat with three other couples, a 40 year old couple, a 50 year old couple, and a 60 year old couple. It was a good mix and everyone was pleasant. We found common ground with each couple and had a great time.

I was so excited for the concert, it was simple (just him on a piano) but he sounded just like he did on his records. He was charming and funny and I was a total fan-girl, singing along and clapping like a maniac. He was just so good! We were back home by 10 to get a run-down on Allison's night, but it felt so good to get out together. It felt like a date that we needed (even if we went on it with 3 other couples).
(This image is from the photographer who was working the event).

No comments:

Post a Comment