Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Spenders

I think one of the hardest things about being a stay-at-home mom is that you're always on the go. And when you're on the go all the time - it's hard not to spend money. I love finding free things to do but there's always something that costs money and it adds up fast.

I knew I had to go to the grocery store today so I decided to do a free activity in the morning. I took Allison to the library to pick out some books and let her play in kids section.

I picked up this copy of Trouble Maker by Leah Remini the last time I was at the library. I loved her on King of Queens and heard good things about her memoir. It was so interesting - I finished it in 2 days. It was a quick read but very  interesting. I thought she did a good job at showing her crazy and grit (which you'll understand if you've seen the show) and the reality of Scientology. The book only addressed the systems in place in the religion. It was like watching an expose on the Catholic Church priest scandal but Jesus is never mentioned.

We didn't stay long at the library because two moms came in with their girls (a little older than Allison) and they brought along toys that they didn't want to share with Allison. They occupied two of the three open spaces and Allison started to get sad about being left out, so we left.
I really don't like it when Allison is treated poorly. Especially because, as crazy and wild as Allison is, she is very innocent. When she is hit or pushed or a kid jumps in line, she doesn't react - she just wants to be included. I have to fight against my urge to give her treats to make up for her interactions with mean kids.

I lost the battle at the grocery store when I let her pick out some Oreos for our afternoon snack.
As we were walking through the Walmart Market, one of the staff said, "Hey, I just wanted to let you know that we have a really good deal on turkey's - ten cents a pound." I honestly didn't know if that was a good price and when I asked if they were expired, she said that they were from Christmas and they only had a few left and wanted to move them out.

I bought this nearly 14 pound turkey for $1.36. It's February and I don't need a turkey but it doesn't expire until next year so I'll just hold onto it until Thanksgiving. If I had a deep freeze, I probably would have bought them all!


No comments:

Post a Comment