Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Accident

Well, I'm talked about the bad drivers in KC for awhile now and it was my turn to be in the accident.
I was heading to Loose Park this morning to meet friends. I was driving (less than a block from our house) in the curb lane when a black Cadillac entered the lane to my left (going the same direction as me). Immediately after she entered the roadway she decided to change into my lane and without checking, moved over. The front right of her SUV hit the back left of my car.

Thankfully, we were only traveling 50km/hour so it was a slow accident. We both stopped our cars but when I saw the traffic was building behind us, I waved her onto the next side street (where I could see my backyard from my car).

I got out to talk to her and she was so upset. She apologized and said that she just didn't see me and that it was a mistake. She was a 70ish woman who was very shaken by the accident. I tried to show her as much grace as I could because I know one day I will be in her shoes because mistakes happen to everyone. I was so relieved that it was simple and that she acknowledged that it wasn't my fault. In fact, when the cop arrived, she told him that she was just at yoga class and maybe she had meditated to deeply to be driving. I could tell from the look on his face that it would probably end up in a Hall of Fame quote board at the Prairie Village Police Department.

Nathan was sleeping and wasn't answering his phone so I felt I had to call 9-1-1 because I didn't know how to handle the situation. I'm glad I did because the cop took our statements, filled out a report and took of insurance information, and gave the other driver 2 tickets.

I've had to give a statement to the other driver's insurance company and one of the questions is if anyone was ticketed so I know it will go a long way to getting the $2700 it will be to fix my car.

Because it was a slow crunch rather than an possible huge crash which I have nearly been a part of/ have seen on many occasions while driving in the city, I wasn't unsettled by it. I just felt bad because I know that it would take Nathan a lot of time and effort to clean up this mess and I know how hard he already works.

I'm just glad everyone is safe.
And we still made it to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment