Saturday, December 30, 2017

Back to Boxall

This was our shortest trip to Boxall ever! Usually I like to spend at least two weeks at my parents house, but with Christmas falling on a Sunday, and Nathan and I making a plan to travel the first week of January, our trip was quick.

Allison and I were in Boxall from December 21-December 30 and we were busy! Every day had a (fun) event. Allison loved being with her cousins and extended family. Here are some highlights from our trip.

1. After clear roads for our trip home from the Detroit airport, we woke up to snow! My Dad watches my nephew, Dallas, on Fridays, so Allison had a playmate in the snow. It was interesting to watch Dallas and Allison vie for my Dad's attention (and cuddles).
 






2. Allison really wanted to make a snowman. It's her favorite Canada tradition. We don't get much snow in KC, so it's a big deal that she can make a snowman each year. It's also special because she gets to make it with Grandpa.
 
 


 3. Christmas in Boxall includes Christmas at my parents house, Christmas at my uncle Jim's (my Dad's extended family) and Boxing Day at my sister-in-law's extended family. When I tell people about going to my SIL's family for Christmas, they think it's a little strange because we're not related, but I'm lucky (and thankful) that Shelley's family is always open and happy to include Allison and I. We never feel left out (even during gift exchanges), and it's an important reminder that there are many ways to make a family.


 
 4. Heather and Marlene (Nathan's sister and mom) brought Allison's cousins for a visit on December 27. We had lunch, then exchanged gifts. We were able to sit and chat while the kids braved the freezing temperatures.
 

 



5. Every time we visit my parent's house, Allison and I love to explore at my uncle Garnet's house, Allison known as  "The Farm." Allison loved crawling under the tractors and exploring the barn with her flashlight. The tractors were parked so close together I couldn't get through! Next, Allison found a huge pile of snow that my Dad had made and climbed to the top and yelled, "I'm Queen of the World!"
 
 

 6. There are several phone booths (with working phones) in the towns near my parents. I wanted to stop and get a photo of Allison in the booth. That may seem odd, but photo booths are already few and far between, and by the time Allison is an adult, she may have to explain to her kids what those weird boxes are.
 
7. My parents gave my brother's family, and Allison and I, a three day trip to Zehnder's Splash Village in Frankenmuth, MI for our Christmas gift. It's similar to a Great Wolf Lodge, but with much more to do! There were two aquatic complexes with bucket dumps, slides, tube slides, lazy rivers, kid pools, hot tubs, and more. There were also movie nights in the lobby, bars, restaurants, and an arcade! Allison loves the water and we had a great time.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment