Monday, December 18, 2017

Art Quilt

My friend, Eleanor, is having a baby this spring and I wanted to give her a special early gift. She is waiting until the birth to find out the gender, so I had an idea for a black and white baby quilt. I've always heard how much babies love the high contrast of black and white and it seemed like the perfect gender neutral gift.

Eleanor is a artist and I really wanted to use her art in the quilt. I went through her Instagram account and saved all her ink sketches. Then, I put them in a image document and logged into Spoonflower, a really cool fabric site. The site allows you to select the type of fabric, the size of your fabric, and the design of your fabric. You can shop from their store, or you can make your own. I uploaded my image document (which had all the individual screen captures from Eleanor's social media) and within 3 weeks I had my custom fabric. I've always wanted to try it and it was really successful. I will absolutely use this site again.
 Once I got the fabric, I washed it, ironed it, then cut each block to 5 1/2 inches square. Next I bought 1/4 yard of 10 different black and white fabric for the the borders. Next I put the front, back and batting together in a quilt sandwich and pinned it.
After I had quilted it, I put on the binding and my quilt was done!
 

I loved seeing the look on Eleanor's face when she realized the quilt was covered in her art!

No comments:

Post a Comment