Friday, September 21, 2012

Football Days

Today I volunteered at the church to help prepare the meal for the Southwest High School kids. The church is focusing on a W +2 format for members. What this means is that you *should* be coming to worship and then plugging into 2 activities that the church is associated with. Whether that's Southwest, helping out in the nursery, helping out with community events, welcome/greeters, set up/clean up, or a bible study group, you just pick two.

I arrived at noon to help set up the place settings and get everything ready. There were about a half dozen volunteers there. One volunteer was a new woman who only came to Wornall for the first time last week. She just moved to KC and is starting over in her life after some difficult relationships. We were alone in the hall, putting ice in all the cups when she started to tear up telling me a little about her. I felt so called to share with her (which is so NOT my personality!) I put my hand on her arm and told her what I've been through and that Wornall is the best place you can be if you're feeling sad, alone, angry, and grieving. I told her that every time I come back here these women have to sit and listen to me blab and cry my eyes out but that they're happy to do it. She told me that what I said made a difference to her and it made me feel so better to share with her. We sat and chatted for a long time while we waited for the players to arrive and I think it helped us both a lot.
 
I stayed at the church until about 5 pm and then went to pick up Nathan from work. After a quick supper, he decided he wanted to get out of the house so we drove up the high school to watch the football game. We arrived at half time and sat with April and Ryan (couple from church) and their cute little boy Griffin.  Tonight April asked me, "is it weird if I read your blog while you're in Kansas City?" I laughed and told her no, besides, I don't post many pictures on facebook so if you see me pointing a camera your way - the picture is usually on here!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment