Today we did the second leg of our trip to KC. We left Chicago at 11am and didn't arrived until 8pm. The drive was long and there was NOTHING to see in Iowa. We did stop in Des Moines so that we could use the bathroom at McDonald's. I went into the restroom and pushed on an unlocked door and walked in. What did I see? A middle-aged black woman with her pants around her ankles and a syringe in her arm. I don't think I've ever been so shocked, speechless, and freaked out. I apologized and ran into another stall. She was still in the main area with her friend when I cam out and she slurred at me, "You near scared me to death." I told her I felt the same way- then I skedaddled outta there.
Along the trip I couldn't help but be amazed at home terrible the corn crop in here. My dad was talking a bit about it before we left and it was incredible. The stalks weren't even waist high and they were completely brown. It looked as though they had been set on fire. It was really sad and I can only imagine the toll it must be taking on the farmers and their families.
During we drove we listened to a book on tape (4 1/2 hours) that Marlene let us borrow a few weeks back. It was pretty good - and Nathan said he was thankful to have it since without it he would have left me at the McDonald's drug house. While Nathan drove, I kept myself busy (and quiet) by making a filet crochet doily. It took me the whole trip! I finished just as we entered KC.
No comments:
Post a Comment