Sometimes I forget how "country" my family and home life can be, and then - like the moment you step out of the room you went into and forgot what you were looking for only to remember again, it comes flooding back.
Today my parents invited Fraser and Shelley (my brother and sister-in-law) over for turkey dinner. I was a little concerned when we came home from church and the turkey was still defrosting in the sink. Then 5 o'clock rolled around and there was still a raw turkey on the counter. At that point it was time to head out to the garage for the turkey dunk. My brother braved the hot oil (lucky we had the old dry wall surrounding the pot in case it exploded) to lower the turkey into the deep fryer. A deep fried turkey! It takes 3 minutes per pound so in half an hour we had a fully cooked (and quite delicious) turkey. I still prefer the old fashioned way but the meat was moist and it tasted almost exactly as it would have if it had been cooked in the oven.
We all went out to watch the initial dunking (even though it was -14 degrees outside). I remember a few years back standing around our driveway, some of us sitting on the tailgate and a car stopping at the end of our drive and a woman starting to take pictures of us - a complete stranger. It was really wierd but then I looked around tonight and saw what she saw. Oh well, it was a lot of fun.
Scarlett showed up at the house in the Tinkerbell costume that I made her for Christmas and she and Tanner amused themselves for most of the night with the box of new washing machine came in (and a pack of crayons).
No comments:
Post a Comment