Tuesday, February 19, 2013

SuperBoy

One of my favorite sewing projects is to make dress-up clothes for kids. I like to make them because it's a chance to be creative, make a pattern, and it usually only takes a fraction of a what a bigger project takes (ie. a quilt top).

My friend Becky had asked me a couple of weeks ago if I could make her son Everett, who is turning 3 next month, a Superman cape. I offered to use an 'E' instead of the 'S' and she agreed that it would be a fun idea.

I was able to do the project because I had some scrap material left over from an earlier project. I haven't taken on many new projects because I don't have the fabric selection (at the lower price) that I did while I was in the US. However, I already had red satin and had JUSTENOUGH to pull the cape together. I really liked how it turned out and I think Everett will be happy next month when he gets to try it on.

I didn't make my own pattern for this piece (I did have to adjust the measurement because Everett is younger than the boy in the blog post) and it was really easy to follow. Even though I love how the red satin looks - I hate working with satin! It's awful and I'm happy the scraps are used up.

Here is the tutorial for anyone who is interested:

http://www.momsrising.org/blog/how-to-make-a-superhero-cape-by-lara-from-howdoesshe/

No comments:

Post a Comment