Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Silver Lining

I didn't have a busy morning today but I did have an early one. I had a doctor's appointment at 8:45am and it was about 25 minutes away (without the morning traffic). Our family doctor is a former colleague of Nathan's and she's really great with Allison. She didn't flinch when Allison pulled all the gowns out of the drawers, or hid in the cupboard under the sink - or when she started chewing on an elastic she found on the floor. When I took the elastic away from Allison she had a full-on meltdown.  Dr. Speilberg was understanding and got me out of the appointment quickly.

When I pulled up the GPS to get back home I realized I was close to Joann Fabric (one that I never go to). I always keep a list in my purse of things to pick up and I wanted to get a paper backdrop for Allison's 22 month photos so I decided to stop in. I got the paper without an issue but Allison was getting fussy. There was a Salvation Army next door and I wanted to stop in because I'm looking for a specific item for Halloween (yes, I know it's only February).

While in the thrift store, I found the skirt I was looking for and while looking through the toys, Allison found a play computer that she immediately fell in love with. It had batteries in it and Allison sat down in the aisle to play with it. She loves computers and is constantly trying to get her hands on my keyboard. I was thrilled because I needed to stop and get groceries and this toy could get me through a quick shop.

Then I saw it. The bane of the thrift shopper existence. NO PRICE. I understand there are some dishonest people who remove tags in order to get things at cheaper prices but WHO CARES?!? The average manager should be able to determine a price. Yet at every store there is a sign, "Items without tags will not be sold." The process is that the item is reviewed, priced, and then the customer is notified, and then they have a limited time to claim the item. It's beyond ridiculous and I NEEDED THAT COMPUTER because our landlord (Annie) was coming to dinner and I needed to get to the grocery store.

So I used Allison's crazy behaviour to my advantage.

We joined the line (already a tough experience for Allison). About 30 seconds before the customer ahead of me finished her transaction. I did it. I took the computer away from Allison. She was happily sitting on the floor playing and I gently took it out of her hands. She lost.her.mind.

I looked at her tenderly and began my chant (loud enough for the cashier, and the people behind me in line to hear).

"It's OK honey, we just have to pay and then we can take it home."
"Alli, it's yours, I just have to pay for it ok."
"Don't worry, stop crying sweetie, you'll get it back in just a minute then we can take it home."

I put on my best frazzled fave and handed over the computer then turned back to comfort Allison. Honestly, I didn't care if I got charged $10 for the thing. I wanted it. I just paid ($5 for both the skirt and computer) and checked the bill when I got to the car. It's wasn't my finest moment as an adult, but as a mom, I was satisfied.

I got to stop for groceries, and it made for a great story at dinner.

1 comment: