Saturday, August 15, 2015

Storyland

There is a mall in KC called Crown Center. It's really tiny and only has a handful of stores but it does house the Halls store (owned by Hallmark) and it's an upscale department store.

Three times a year Crown Center hosts a traveling exhibit - usually from the Minnesota Children's Museum (who rents out their exhibits across the US once they've displayed them).  This summer the exhibit was Storyland and it featured exhibits of 7 children's books.

1. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
2. If You Give A Mouse a Cookies
3. Abuela
4.Tuesday
5. The Snowy Day
6. The Tale of Peter Rabbit
7. Where's Spot?

The space is turned into a musical, interactive, playground. Everything can be touched, pushed, climbed on and experienced. Everything talks - everything makes noise and it is so fun!

I entered a contest through a local magazine - KC Parent - for a private party at the exhibit. I completely forgot about it until I found an email in my junk mail saying I had won!

I was so excited because Allison likes to run and taking her to a small space that (I can imagine) gets really crazy with lots of kids inside is too stressful for me to consider. I've had friends that have taken their kids there when the exhibit is open and they get trampled or it's just too chaotic. I was also excited because I was able to invite some friends along to share the experience.

We all met at the entrance at 9am and had the place to ourselves for a full hour (there were people already  lined up to get in when we left). They kids were able to run free and do whatever we wanted while the adults were able to relax and chat and not have to be chasing our kids - it was great!

I took a couple of the books that were on display out of the library this week because I thought it would be more fun if Allison had a point of reference. As soon as she saw "The Snowy Day" she said, "Crunch Crunch Crunch!" *She was still saying it when I put her to bed tonight*
 
 

 


 

 I really liked the Mouse exhibit. You know the feeling when you see a picture from your childhood and it's like you remember how you felt when you first saw it? I remember this scene with the mouse and the puff ball so clearly. I remember imagining how squishy it would be and the powder dusting out of the makeup jar. I was a happy memory.
 
 
 Another part of my prize was a very generous gift from the Crown Center Team. It had something for me and lots for Allison. My favorite part of the prize is copies of the books from the exhibit.

Since we had access to the exhibit before it opened, it was still quite early when we left the mall. We decided to continue our treat day by using a 50% off Starbucks Groupon I had to buy drinks to enjoy on the front porch to beat the morning heat.

After a long nap (for two members of the family) we headed to our neighbor's (and Nathan's colleague) for dinner. They have a little boy who is a month younger than Allison and they played together so well. They were developmentally at the same level and they were just kind and easy with each other. It was the first time I've ever seen her play WITH someone. After dinner, the four of us sat on the floor in their playroom while the kids played around us. It was the perfect way to end a family day.

No comments:

Post a Comment