Day was a very exciting day at the Kansas City Zoo! The zoo welcomed two koalas! Coedie and Burra came from the San Diego Zoo and will be at the KC Zoo through the fall. I met up with our mom group before the zoo opened and it was a good thing we did because it was a very busy day! People were even sneaking past the main gates to get in early! The zoo opened 5 minutes early because people were going out back exits to the cafe and gift shop to get early access.
We immediately went to the koalas. The koalas are nocturnal so they were sleeping and they were behind glass so a good picture was a long shot (I also only had my phone, not my Canon).
Allison and I had koala pins that I made for this special day. We spent time yesterday talking about koalas and where they come from and what they eat, and I made the pins because I knew that the zoo would be selling stuffed animals, and cups and trinkets and that Allison would want one. Instead, i spent 20 minutes while she was napping yesterday and made us pins out of felt and she didn't ask for anything today.
After lunch it was just my friend Eleanor and her daughter, Camille, that wanted to stay longer at the zoo so we decided to take the tram and walk around Africa. After a long walk, and one more carousel ride, we headed home after a 6 hour trek to the zoo.
I took this photo as soon as we got home. You can see in my face (and frizzy hair) that it was a very long (but sweet) day.






No comments:
Post a Comment